Veterinary Physiology is the branch of science which deals with the normal processes and reactions of the body of an animal. It studies the mechanism by which various systems of the body (Cardiovascular, Nervous, Respiratory, Reproductive, Muscular, Skeletal etc.) carry out their functions. The clinical status of the animal depends on the normal mechanism of each system. The performance of any animal depends on the comfort and well being, keeping animal normal. Any normal reaction, when is disturbed by any kind of stress, causes disorder, which is then corrected by Medicine or any other clinical branch. Thus, to be a good veterinarian or physician, it is essential to be perfect in Physiology. Hence, the department is equipped for the practical study of Physiology.
In the current scenario, the comfort of the animals is supposed to have disturbed, due to climate change. The department of Physiology in this college has taken up study of the effects of climate on the Physiology of animals and also to find out mitigation methods over minimising the stress over animals due to climate change.
The Department runs an observatory – aided, approved and recognized by the prestigious Indian Meteorology Department, Pune.
With this the COVAS, Udgir has become THE FIRST VETERINARY COLLEGE, HAVING ITS OWN OBSERVATORY to study a new science VETEROMETEOROLOGY.
Departmental Research Extramural projects
|Sr.No.||Title of the project||PI & Co-PI||Funding Agency||Grants Received||Year|
|1.||Adaptation And Facilitation Of Livestock To Impending Climate Change Through Shelter Management||Dr.S.S.Kulkarni
Dr. N.Z.Gaikwad, Asso.Prof., Bioch.
Asstt. Prof., Micro.
|ICAR / NDRI||RS. 19.00 LAKHS||2007 – 2012|
|Sr. No.||Title of the project||Research Co-ordinator /Worker||Year of start||Duration in years|
|1.||Determination Of Climatic Profile Of Udgir Area||Dr.S.S.Kulkarni,Dr.S.A.Dhenge, Assist. Prof.||2000||Ongoing|
|2.||Biometrical Measurements In Deoni Cattle, Deccani Sheep And Osmanabadi Goats InThe Units Of COVAS, Udgir||Dr.S.S.Kulkarni,Dr.S.A.Dhenge, Assist. Prof.||2009||Ongoing|
|3.||Comparative study of Haemo-analysis in poultry by automatic haemoanalyzers and manual methods||Dr.S.S.Kulkarni,Dr.S.A.Dhenge, Assist. Prof.||2009||Ongoing|
|4.||Effect Of Seasonwise Weather Changes On Milk Production In Cows And Buffaloes||Dr.S.S.Kulkarni,Dr.S.A.Dhenge, Assist. Prof.||2008||Ongoing|
- Establishment of IMD approved observatory, for the first time in any veterinary college for climatic studies and mission to develop a new branch of vet. Science – Veterometeorology.
- Completed survey of 12 villages in the outskirts of Udgir area and tehsils around, generating data on shelter systems.
- Studies on growth, production, reproduction performance of animals in reference to the prevailing climatic conditions.
- Mitigation studies vis-a-vis climatic change – proposed mission.
- Haemo-analysis of clinical samples as well as research samples.
- 2.Catering Meteorological data to researchers and various administrative offices.
|Dr. S.S. Kulkarni
Professor & Sectional Head,
Department of Physiology
|Dr. M.M. Vaidya
Department of Physiology